Labels

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Teachers' different tools and exercises

I really need to begin with a "Waw". Amazing sites this week for all teachers whether their classes are net wired or not.
The "Tools for educators" at : http://www.toolsforeducators.com/
is a comprehensive site for teaching vocabulary. Teachers of younger learners will like it very much as it save them the effort looking for pictures, cutting, pasting,and designing worksheets. I tried picture cross words about months,days.food.body parts and feelings. Different topics that any language teaching will deal with. These toics are the main entries for different activities and different skill focus. If you are teaching about "Fruit", for example, then you will be able to create the picture sheet, writing tracing sheet and a listening quiz about the same items. Didn't I say that it is comprehensive.
Flashcards which are our basic tool for teaching the written form of any word can be easily generated at : http://www.educationalpress.org/index.asp.

The agony of every teacher , tests can be easily manages and created using EasyTestMaker: The easy way to make all your tests! at:  http://www.easytestmaker.com/default.aspx


I have manages to create mine,which is about the project I am preparing, at : http://www.easytestmaker.com/user/Test.aspx?TestID=3e197424-0a0a-4f9f-8e72-cb9cedbb53bf:

The "X word generator "at the "Edict page" http://www.edict.com.hk/xword/generator/

Offers avariety of activities. I found a very useful Roulette grammar game at:

http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/roulette/

Hot Pot, a different story and I am still exploring the opportunity this software provides for making cloze tests , crosswords, jumbled sentences and other options.

I mentioned earlier that if classrooms are net wired then much fun can be added to classroom learning through games and on-line activities. If not, the created printable sheets can do the work to a certain extent. Moreover, since the creation of these sheets is so simple then it can be customized and even designed according to individual students' skills.

For learners, having more fun in learning and having activities that suit their levels is one of the pillars of learners' autonomy.

Teachers will benefit a lot from the tools as they save a lot of time managing the layout and the format of the printing word documents.

Blogger and Nicenet are our class tools. If they work for this class, then definitely they work for others. I have created my class on Nicenet. I will discuss later.

Yours
Hanan

3 comments:

Liliya said...

Dear,Hanan! Though I read this post or similar to it in Nicenet, it was good to know about your own vision of how different tools can assis teachers in their not so easy teaching practice. I myself tried x-word generator and find it very useful tool, not only for those who teach vocabulary, but as a general supporting exercise after reading or listening.

You are right when you mention about wired or non wired classes, this is very topical for those who do not usually have internet connection. I am among these unlucky ones.But fortunately, there are tools that let to print out and save tasks on computer.

Best,
Liliya

Victoria said...

Dear Hanan,

You did great job trying different tools and creating so much.
I like this week and learning by doing. I feel I I starve for time for exploring everything we are recommended by Deborah and creative colleagues too.

Yours,
Victoria

Hanan Kanash said...

Dear Liliya and Victoria:

Thanks for passing by.
Liliya is completely right anout the Nicenet post. This week I wanted to keep a record of my work on my blog and Nicenet.

The reason I did this is the struggle with the time. As Victoia mentioned , and also Bella at her post in one of NIcenet threads,we are starving for time.

Some ofthe tools worked perfectly with me ,while I am still struggling with others.

Now I feel that I hate all kinds of potatoe as the exercises end up not in the way I wanted them to be.

This is technology. Every one chooses what suits his skills till he manages the others

Yours

Hanan