Labels

Saturday, July 31, 2010

" Interactive Lectures & Large Classes " Is it a dream?

I can answer the question saying "Certainly not.". This answer is a result of the readings that we came across this week and the experience that we shared together.

When it comes to large classes the magical sollution is usually the lecturing technique. We do not have to consider lectures a one way mode of communication any more. The 36 different format for making a lecture interactive, at   http://www.thiagi.com/interactive-lectures.html  ,  is a proof of that. Some of these techniques happened to be familiar to some of us.Sometimes I use techniques like "Best Summary" ," Brainstorming","Fictional case study",and "Idea Maps" in teaching and training even if the classes are not large.
Izabella found the techniques presented by  Rick Finnan and Donna Shaw "Enhancing Learning by Engaging Students" at: http://umbc.uoregon.edu/eteacher/webskills/material/engaging_students_handout.pdf/,
similar to what she is using sometimes as well.

This is  a natural phenomenon. Theories are usually built around best practices from real world.

The best Practise is a result of the person's real situation Perhaps this is the reason that made me focus on the idea if interactive PowerPoint in my posts at  Nicenet  as a way of interactivity.

My classmates mentioned different  useful ideas related to making the large classes interactive in the assessment stage. Stephen  mentioned  SMART Senteos, Janet highlighted the Clicker technology,Others propsed on-line testing. I found these techniques useful but difficult to apply in my situation.

Technology sometimes fails. This week I suffered alot doing my tasks because of problems with PCs and net connections.
No matter how marvellous the things we can do with tech., it should not be our only source. "Naked teaching" is a source of power and interation.

I am happy I managed this post. I'll be leaving before things go wrong.

Yours

Hanan

No comments: