Labels

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Interactive PowerPoint:

This week I have learnt so many tricks about the use of PPT and the ideas of dealing with large classes. These tricks add power to the teacher and so I'd like to start by quoting Stephen" PowerPoint is powerful"


During last week Deborah included the concept of "constructivism " while learning about WebQuests and PBL.

This week the concept is related to "Interactive PowerPoint and the idea of engaging students. I can see that it is related to "social constructivism" in the sense that learning is a social act. Our own knowledge is based on the idea of our input into meaningful messages that can help out fitting among groups.More on these ideas can be found at:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/5630897


That kind of transfer is not "haphazardeous".It is one that goes through a continuum. Therefore, the concept of scaffolding is an essential one in preparing any interactive presentation.
The ideas posted by Deborah in her "Interactive PowerPoint Presentation" help that concept a lot especially the concept test and the hyperlink jumps. I have uploaded mine at the wiki page titled" My interactive PowerPoint". It is about the use of PPT to teach present continuous for third graders based on a lesson from the textbook.

I tried scaffolding in my PPT by starting a review in a form of a quiz. Then, I tried to create the kind of interaction within the individual to enhance the intra - linguistic intelligence. Then, I tried introducing a new language pattern through the pictures colors and motion. Next, the application stage is at hand for students to form a pattern that has graded from writing two missing words to the whole pattern.

Creating my own PPT added to my skills in doing hyperlinks. The first response was to Arjana who liked it . Thank you Arjana and your comment made me more decisive on integrating teachers of younger learners in our developmental plans,

I still find some techniques, i.e. " jeopardy", challenging ones. I 'll keep trying.

Yours

Hanan

3 comments:

Janet said...

Hello Hanan,

I loved the graphics and colours in your PowerPoint presentation and I think you have provided scaffolding for the students as you go through the lesson from remembering, to recognizing structure, to creating sentences. You put into practice the ideas we are reading about this week.

Janet

Hanan Kanash said...

Dear Janet:

Thanks a lot for your nice comment.
I also think that the idea of scaffolding is natural result of the Bloom's taxonomy of behavioral objectives which we learnt about during this course.

I would like also to thank you for offering to be my partner. Hope we will do good job together.

Yours

Hanan

Azhar Youssef said...

Dear Hanan,

Thanks so much for your informative post. I do agree with you about the theoretical bases of approximately all tools introduced in this course. It is the “Social Constructivism”. It is a wonderful theory that is concerned with students’ role in their learning process. They are responsible for building their knowledge through the society in which they live, e.g., their teachers, peers, parents, online friends, … etc.

However, there is another theory has recently appeared to frame the use of all technological tools in teaching. It is the “Connectivism Theory”. It is called the theory of the digital age. As there are many tools, so this theory comes to put them under its umbrella.

I think both constructivism and connectivism care about how to employ technology in a scaffolded way for students to learn independently.

For your interactive PowerPoint, I liked it very much. It is very simple and attractive for the age of students. You also use many techniques of interactivity. Congratulations!

Keep up the excellent work!

Yours,
Azhar